A good Egg Drop Soup is perfection in a bowl. Just the right combination of gelatinous broth, gummy egg bits, and crunchy green onions is both nourishing and filling. Finding a good version can be a challenge and this recipe gets the flavor notes just right. Adding a handful of fresh spinach leaves gives a bit of crunch.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp butter from pastured cows
- 8 cups of chicken broth (or well-salted water)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (fresh if you have it)
- 1 tsp soy sauce (unpasteurized and unrefined)
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder (or corn starch) + 3 Tbsp water
- 6 eggs
- Thank you Food Renegade!
1. Saute chopped onions and celery in butter until softened.
2. Add broth, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil. Bring to soft simmer for 15 min.
3. Mix arrowroot powder or corn starch with 1/3 cup warm water until completely blended and smooth.
4. Add to broth and blend.
5. Whisk eggs together and pour into soup while broth is lightly simmering. I like to stir soup in circular motion for ribbon like effect.
6. Garnish with green onion and spinach. Enjoy!